On June 24 & 25, we will celebrate the 39th anniversary of our Lady’s apparitions to the children of Medugorje. Even in the early years, some people claimed that our Lady would never appear so long. “It is unprecedented in the history of apparition.”
So why has our Lady continued to appear every day for 39 years? I don’t think the answer is an easy one. But there are many things we can point to that suggest her reasons. The first reason our Lady is still appearing at Medugorje is that so many people have been exposed to her messages, yet, so few are living them.
Even if we leave fasting aside, all of the other messages seem to be ignored by many. So, let’s go over the core of the Medugorje message.
- Convert – it seems that the world is much further away from God than when our Lady began appearing in 1981. Everything is upside down. People have rejected the morals of the Gospel and accepted everything that is contrary.
- Faith – People say they believe, but our churches are emptying by the day. It is like a massive hemorrhage that is unstoppable. Not only do people not go to church, they live as if there were no God, no heaven, and no hell.
- Prayer – With the decrease in faith, prayer diminishes also. Although most people are searching for supernatural, they look in the wrong places. The practice of the faith has waned, practice of the occult has grown exponentially. It is a reversal of order. When we take God out of the picture, the devil and his minions rush right in.
- Fasting – We are now at the hight of consumerism. It is impossible to fast when one is so focused on self and ones personal needs/ desires. “Me first.” How can one fast when we run to every self-gratification possible. We have filled our lives with things in place of God.
- Peace – Just turn on the news. We have a few generations that have been raised without God. And when you don’t have God in your life, there will never be peace. Because true peace comes from God alone. “Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you.” Jn 14:27
- Reconciliation – There is no forgiveness, only retaliation. Our whole society is on the brink of chaos. The whole world is at unrest because there is no reconciliation. But that reconciliation begins with one self. First I must be reconciled with God. I have to leave behind my sins through repentance and the Sacrament of Penance. After that, and only after that am I ready to be reconciled with my brother. But if I don’t repent, and I don’t see my sins, how will I ever forgive “those who trespass against us.” I am only worried about me.
All of our Lady’s messages work together. They are like bricks in a foundation. You can’t leave one out or there is a hole, and eventually the weak foundation falls. Our Lady continually asks us to go to confession frequently. She once said that if all Catholics go to confession monthly, the world would be healed. On this 39th anniversary of our Lady’s apparitions, why don’t we all giver her a gift? Go to confession and not only look for the latest message with curiosity, but live them. As St. Francis of Assisi said: “Let us begin, brothers, to serve the Lord God, for up until now we have done little or nothing.”